Moving from one home to another is a significant event, whether you’re moving across town or across the country. When we’re planning a move, we think about everything else such as the new job, fun things to do in the new city, the going away party…everything but the move itself! There are just some things we forget to think about it until we’re in the middle of it the move, and then it’s too late.
Common Pitfalls of Moving
1) Waiting Until the Last Minute: About 40 million Americans who move each year — late spring and summer are especially popular, and reputable movers get booked up fast. Plan at least 3 to 4 months in advance, so you get your top choice of moving company and a time slot that works best for you.
2) Doing It Yourself: Sure, it seems like you’re saving money. But there are so many risks involved when you decide to do your own moving, such as damaged furniture and injuries to your body. These mishaps not only create unexpected expenses, but they are also potentially very dangerous.
3) Didn’t Clean House: Remember those boxes in the garage from your last move than you never unpacked? Or the closet full of clothes you haven’t worn in a decade? Or maybe the Christmas tree in the attic that you’ve been using since 1987? Perhaps it’s time to clean out — have a garage sale or donate to charity. Start fresh in your new home!
4) You Forgot About Your Antiques: Furniture? Check. Appliances? Check. Dogs? check. Wait, but what about your antiques? Are the movers you hired professionally equipped and insured to handle valuable antiques? Don’t wing it — some things are too precious to leave to chance.
5) Not Getting an Estimate: Most movers offer two kinds of estimates. A nonbinding estimate is based on the mover’s estimate of the size of your current home and its contents, and how far you’re moving — you can be charged up to 10% more than the estimate. A binding estimate is a legal document that clearly describes the charges and cannot be changed. Most experts recommend that you get three estimates and ask about possible hidden fees.
Looking for a Houston Moving Company?
At C&M Moving, located in the Houston area, we are fully insured with general contractor’s insurance, supplemented by a separate policy to cover the artwork that we handle. We are experts in handling luxury furniture, fine art and antiques, as well as in crating and chandelier installation. To set an appointment for a free estimate, please call our offices at (713) 839-7677.